Skip to main content

How to Make Fried Rice

I don’t really cook. As I have mentioned before in my previous posts, during the years I lived by myself, I invented “dishes” to cook for myself. Among them, my fried rice is among the successful few, something that I can actually let other people eat. Arwen actually craves for it at times. This post is about how I make it.

The ingredients:

- Eggs (I love eggs!)
- Hot dogs.
- A small bag of frozen veggies.
- Leftover rice (not in the picture).
- Whatever leftover meat/food that you may have (optional). Here I have some ground beef from the burritos last night.
- Soy sauce.
- Cooking oil.
- Pepper.


Step 1: Dice hot dogs into little cubes. I try to make them the similar size of the diced carrot in the frozen veggies bag.


Step 2: Heat the oil. About 2 spoons is enough. The hot dogs will produce extra grease. (What “spoon”, you ask? The one you eat with, of course!)


Step 3: Fry the hot dogs. So I don’t like raw meat. Packaged hot dogs are debatably cooked but I don’t like their texture right out of the bag so I fry them up until the color turns darker and the shape somewhat distorted.


Step 4: Add the veggies. Stir them up with the hot dog cubes so they become slightly cooked and mixed well with the hot dogs.


Step 5: Add whatever else meat/food. Do the same as step 4: mix them up good.



Step 6: It’s time to add the rice! The rice portion is roughly the same as the amount of what you now have in your pan/wok.


Step 7: You guessed it! It’s mixing time, again! Stir fry everything together until they are well-mixed.


Step 8: Congratulations, you finally get to use the only raw ingredient we have: the eggs. Crack several eggs and throw them into the mix. I would use 2 eggs per person. Feel free to add more or less to your liking. Egg is love, egg is life, though!


And once again, it’s mixing time! You will mix until the eggs are cooked nicely among other ingredients.


Step 9: Add soy sauce. This part is tricky because I don’t really measure how much I put it in. Basically a good dash at each area and then mix it up well so the soy sauce would blend well with the rice and change the color to light brown.


Step 10: Add pepper for flavor. The effect is negligible unless you accidentally drop the whole jar into the pan. So be careful.


And we are done! It’s time to serve and enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Words in This List That You Know?

How are you doing on your readings in general and more specifically in developing your vocabularies? Recently I started reading a book for my Finance class called The End of Wall Street by Roger Lowenstein. In the very first chapter of the book – a short 6-page prologue, there were many words that I did not know, and I am listing them here: destitute somnolent bulwark scrutinize (to) prick quiescent laudatory salient fervent (adj) frothy parlance umbilical (cord) placate carnage plenitude opiate dictum stupendous I was so surprised to see so many new words in such a small amount of pages! How is this Roger Lowenstein guy? You would think that while reading a finance book, the only words you would stumble upon are technical terms or lingos. Or maybe I am just bad. How many words in the list above that you already know?

Fei's Mooncakes

Fei is a Chinese guy at work who is socially awkward. He does not hang out with others, nor does he talk to anyone beyond “Good morning” and “How are you.” It’s not that Fei doesn’t want to: he’s unable to. But he would bring food to us as gifts – Chinese cakes, Chinese candies, Chinese snacks – for Lunar New Years and other Chinese festivals. That’s what people do in Asia as a way to maintain relationships. A social obligation. The Mid-Autumn Festival is near. No one at work besides me, another Asian, knows about this festival. Fei brings mooncakes, a type of round-shaped pastries, to work and gives each of us a box. The packaging looks gorgeous: a red square box with gold patterns depicting a lady dancing next to the moon. Inside is eight round pastries, about two inches in diameter. “Thank you very much!”, I say, as Fei hands me a box. Every day since, Fei comes over to my office and asks if I have tried the mooncakes. I have not, but I will soon, I tell him, feeling slightly guilty

The Ineffectiveness of English

I have interacted with English since kindergarten, and for the last four years I have been living in the US, using solely English for daily communications. Despite my effort of continual self-improving, I can’t quite understand the language. There have been explanations, of course, such as how it’s not my first language, how cultures and traditions get in place… Only recently, it strikes me with a more understandable reason: English is an ineffective language. There are so many disadvantages of English. First of all is the way one person talks to another. You can only use “I” and “you” no matter if the person you’re talking to is an earthworm or a high king. The same with “he”, “she”, “it”, and “they”. All the languages that I have ever associated with, which are French, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Cantonese, they have different words to address different people. I believe this should be the way to talk, since each person requires to be treated with respect, order, and