Skip to main content

May I give up please?



Sometimes I felt down. For example, right now, I need to prepare so many things to get an internship for the summer, and the Career Expo is getting closer and closer. Getting a job is hard for even a prepared person, and I am not even sure what a “Career Expo” is, or what would happen in there. Will my resume be good enough? Will my elevator speech sound fine enough? If I have an interview, will I be answering the questions well enough? I don’t know yet.

Ok, if I get an internship, I’ll have to buy a car, a used care that is cheap enough and good enough that it wouldn’t just break down in two months. Oh, I don’t have my driver license; I can’t even drive well yet!


How can I manage to practice driving with all of my homework? Five in my six classes require me to work in teams, and the assignments are just abundant. Guess what? A lot of homework is still nice, if that’s all what I have to do. But there is a XB (eXperience-based) class, in which we have to manage absolutely everything, well, a.k.a no one tells us to do anything, which means, I currently have no idea what to do in that class. Sucks? Totally.

I just take three more hours of work for my part-time job, from mid-night till 3 AM. Why would I do that since I already have so much to take care of? Because I need to buy a car (see above) and my precious laptop is dying, and the money I earn always makes me feel good.

It’s been more than three years since I left to the
US, but I still feel pretty bad sometimes. Day by day, so many tasks, long-term, mid-term, and short-term, keep coming to my head, and my brain has to process all that desperately. It is bad enough that I can say nothing but complaining to my girlfriend whenever we talk. What will happen in the future if she gets married with a guy who is constantly stressed? I feel sorry for her.
Hey, I want to drop everything down and rest. Giving up is just as tempting as having an icy lemonade in the summer. I want to just go home and meet my people. I want to enjoy my bed at night with no concern or worry. Can I, please?

Lol. I can’t. I have to carry on. It’s just as simple as that.

I’ll pray and I’ll try my best. Struggles, bring it on.

Comments

  1. FYI, this post was written a couple weeks ago. Only the emotion is still here, and the issues haven't got over with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Words in This List That You Know?

How are you doing on your readings in general and more specifically in developing your vocabularies? Recently I started reading a book for my Finance class called The End of Wall Street by Roger Lowenstein. In the very first chapter of the book – a short 6-page prologue, there were many words that I did not know, and I am listing them here: destitute somnolent bulwark scrutinize (to) prick quiescent laudatory salient fervent (adj) frothy parlance umbilical (cord) placate carnage plenitude opiate dictum stupendous I was so surprised to see so many new words in such a small amount of pages! How is this Roger Lowenstein guy? You would think that while reading a finance book, the only words you would stumble upon are technical terms or lingos. Or maybe I am just bad. How many words in the list above that you already know?

How to Become a Teller For Bank of America

I currently am working for Bank of America (BofA) as a teller, and it’s been 2 months now. A little bit about what I am, I am an international student whose first language is not English. When I graduated from college, I didn’t do any internship and had no remotely related experience to banking industry. I was full of disadvantages. BofA’s website clearly stated that they wouldn’t typically hire and sponsor F1-visa students, and, on top of everything, the economy was painfully lagging. One cannot help but wonder why in the world they would hire someone like me while millions of Americans were being unemployed. That’s why I really think that I should share my story, and that my story might be somewhat beneficial for some of you who are now reading it. The first and foremost reason was because I was interested in BofA deeply. When I was in my junior year, I was reading my Marketing textbook. The featured story of chapter 8 was about Bank of America, the history of the compa

Fei's Mooncakes

Fei is a Chinese guy at work who is socially awkward. He does not hang out with others, nor does he talk to anyone beyond “Good morning” and “How are you.” It’s not that Fei doesn’t want to: he’s unable to. But he would bring food to us as gifts – Chinese cakes, Chinese candies, Chinese snacks – for Lunar New Years and other Chinese festivals. That’s what people do in Asia as a way to maintain relationships. A social obligation. The Mid-Autumn Festival is near. No one at work besides me, another Asian, knows about this festival. Fei brings mooncakes, a type of round-shaped pastries, to work and gives each of us a box. The packaging looks gorgeous: a red square box with gold patterns depicting a lady dancing next to the moon. Inside is eight round pastries, about two inches in diameter. “Thank you very much!”, I say, as Fei hands me a box. Every day since, Fei comes over to my office and asks if I have tried the mooncakes. I have not, but I will soon, I tell him, feeling slightly guilty