Skip to main content

A diary of DK’s first semester in UCM – Part 1

Month… date… year…

Today was crazy. The computers of US immigration department didn’t work until 6 hours being fixed. Therefore I missed my next flight to Kansas City. They gave me a “standing by” ticket, and I’d get stuck here forever.

Sorry Mom. There’s no free wireless here for me to use the internet. The telephone card here is so stupid that it didn’t let me call home for a second. Please don’t be so worried. I’ll get to UCM soon. I promise! ...

Month… date… year…

I decided to stop playing some games with my friends, in order to come to my room early – to chat with you.

DK: Are you there?
Orchid: Yea :D

And it was my happy day. You wouldn’t ever understand.

Month… date… year…

Today I promised to Orchid that I would perform popping in the Cultural night on spring. So from now on, I have to take it seriously. I know I’m not so good at popping as your Korean guys. But I’ll keep practicing. It doesn’t matter if I won’t get good result. It’s that I will have tried my best, because of me – because of you.

Month… date… year…

I was really sad and jealous when Orchid always put a pretty Korean boy to be her avatar. So today I decided to do something fun.

I used Wd Paint to draw a picture of a “guy” with a sick face of Y!M, and had the same situation, same clothes, same background as her avatar (except the face – of course). It was not easy for sure, I use Paint and hers was a real picture.

It took me a lot of time, and I finished it at last. I was so happy, and I hope you would find it interesting also.

You were online. I showed you my new avatar. You laughed and told me it was so ugly, and didn’t look like hers. Then you quickly changed to another guy’s picture. How sad I was, you would never know! Not every effort will get the result which it deserves.

The angel of the Wind (Thần Gió) had his own “green-face” image since then.

Month… date… year…

Today I decided to have a new roommate – for the fact that I had to. So it was Phat – the Vietnamese guy who was living near by. He became my new roommate.
Since now on, I have someone to laugh with (and to laugh at)…
I have someone to say “good night”
It’s good. :) Welcome, brod.

Month… date… year…

I haven’t met Orchid online for 2 days. Why don’t you answer me something? Anything? Or… you’ve forgot’n me already?

Month… date… year…

Today I became a super moderator of PNS forum. It was what I had wanted before. But now, all the administrators are gone, as well as other moderators. There was only me now, trying to maintain the website day by day, hopelessly. I don’t know. Maybe I’d be gone soon, also. Can I help to maintain something, when my own pain doesn’t have its cure? I am sorry. So depressed.

Month… date… year…

Today I bought a pirate sword at Wal-Mart for the coming Halloween. It was only 4usd, and it was really kool. At midnight, I carried the sword around and pretended to be a security guard. There was a woman saw that, and was scared. She decided to call the community advisers about that. They thought it was a REAL sword until I showed them a line “made in China” on it. It was so funny! I’m lovin’ it!!!

Month… date… year…

I went back to my room at 7h30 pm after finishing my last class for the day. I suddenly looked up to the sky, and realized that the moon was so full, and so bright! Wow, it’s like years since the last time I had looked at the moon like that. Oh, that’s right! Today is full moon, isn’t it?

I felt a little bit sad, a little bit lonely… Maybe you were hanging out with your friends. That’s why you let me wait forever here tonight.

Nothing fun. Only being annoyed by big Phat. Oh, how I hate moon festival!…

Month… date… year…

Today I wrote a new blog entry. Since my second last day of breakdancing class, I started writhing more often – usually when I was deeply sad…

….when you weren’t online.

I know, you will not be online to me anymore. But I’ll keep writing my blog, try not to write about you. I'll forget you soon, some day.

---------------------------------------
Related topic:

A diary of DK’s first semester in UCM – Part 2



...miss you so much...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Words in This List That You Know?

How are you doing on your readings in general and more specifically in developing your vocabularies? Recently I started reading a book for my Finance class called The End of Wall Street by Roger Lowenstein. In the very first chapter of the book – a short 6-page prologue, there were many words that I did not know, and I am listing them here: destitute somnolent bulwark scrutinize (to) prick quiescent laudatory salient fervent (adj) frothy parlance umbilical (cord) placate carnage plenitude opiate dictum stupendous I was so surprised to see so many new words in such a small amount of pages! How is this Roger Lowenstein guy? You would think that while reading a finance book, the only words you would stumble upon are technical terms or lingos. Or maybe I am just bad. How many words in the list above that you already know?

Fei's Mooncakes

Fei is a Chinese guy at work who is socially awkward. He does not hang out with others, nor does he talk to anyone beyond “Good morning” and “How are you.” It’s not that Fei doesn’t want to: he’s unable to. But he would bring food to us as gifts – Chinese cakes, Chinese candies, Chinese snacks – for Lunar New Years and other Chinese festivals. That’s what people do in Asia as a way to maintain relationships. A social obligation. The Mid-Autumn Festival is near. No one at work besides me, another Asian, knows about this festival. Fei brings mooncakes, a type of round-shaped pastries, to work and gives each of us a box. The packaging looks gorgeous: a red square box with gold patterns depicting a lady dancing next to the moon. Inside is eight round pastries, about two inches in diameter. “Thank you very much!”, I say, as Fei hands me a box. Every day since, Fei comes over to my office and asks if I have tried the mooncakes. I have not, but I will soon, I tell him, feeling slightly guilty

The Ineffectiveness of English

I have interacted with English since kindergarten, and for the last four years I have been living in the US, using solely English for daily communications. Despite my effort of continual self-improving, I can’t quite understand the language. There have been explanations, of course, such as how it’s not my first language, how cultures and traditions get in place… Only recently, it strikes me with a more understandable reason: English is an ineffective language. There are so many disadvantages of English. First of all is the way one person talks to another. You can only use “I” and “you” no matter if the person you’re talking to is an earthworm or a high king. The same with “he”, “she”, “it”, and “they”. All the languages that I have ever associated with, which are French, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Cantonese, they have different words to address different people. I believe this should be the way to talk, since each person requires to be treated with respect, order, and