Skip to main content

A Scythe is NOT a Good Weapon


Recently I realized that there are things in life that we would take for granted, from little to great.
In Matthew 13, Jesus presented a parable of the wheat and tares:

The Parable of the Weeds
24 He put another parable before them, saying, “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a man who sowed good seed in his field, 25 but while his men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat and went away. 26 So when the plants came up and bore grain, then the weeds appeared also. 27 And the servants of the master of the house came and said to him, ‘Master, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have weeds?’ 28 He said to them, ‘An enemy has done this.’ So the servants said to him, ‘Then do you want us to go and gather them?’ 29 But he said, ‘No, lest in gathering the weeds you root up the wheat along with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest, and at harvest time I will tell the reapers, “Gather the weeds first and bind them in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my barn.”’”

And later on when His disciples asked, Jesus explained to them:

37 He answered, “The one who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man.38 The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the people of the kingdom. The weeds are the people of the evil one, 39 and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels.
40 “As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age. 41 The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil.42 They will throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 43 Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Whoever has ears, let them hear.

And here I realized one tiny detail: the harvesters are angels”. Jesus portrays angels as harvesters – reapers. So the angel of death becomes the grim reaper, the harvester of the souls, and that’s why his/her weapon of choice is the scythe. And that’s why it’s mind-blowing to me.

I realized that there were obvious questions that I never had asked. Why death is symbolized as the “grim reaper”? Why not “fate tailor”, “life burglar”, or “soul destroyer”? Why is the weapon the scythe and not something more efficient? Surely scythes never were among the dominant battle tools in the history of war! No king ever said, “Prepare for battle! Have the scythes ready!” But I never wondered why. Maybe not many people did.

But now I know the answer. Such popular image of death was inspired by a short parable that Jesus told 2,000 years ago to a group of ancient Israelite red-necks.

Maybe there are other things in life that we don’t ever question. And maybe for many of them, the answer is God.


“I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious.” – Albert Einstein

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Words in This List That You Know?

How are you doing on your readings in general and more specifically in developing your vocabularies? Recently I started reading a book for my Finance class called The End of Wall Street by Roger Lowenstein. In the very first chapter of the book – a short 6-page prologue, there were many words that I did not know, and I am listing them here: destitute somnolent bulwark scrutinize (to) prick quiescent laudatory salient fervent (adj) frothy parlance umbilical (cord) placate carnage plenitude opiate dictum stupendous I was so surprised to see so many new words in such a small amount of pages! How is this Roger Lowenstein guy? You would think that while reading a finance book, the only words you would stumble upon are technical terms or lingos. Or maybe I am just bad. How many words in the list above that you already know?

Fei's Mooncakes

Fei is a Chinese guy at work who is socially awkward. He does not hang out with others, nor does he talk to anyone beyond “Good morning” and “How are you.” It’s not that Fei doesn’t want to: he’s unable to. But he would bring food to us as gifts – Chinese cakes, Chinese candies, Chinese snacks – for Lunar New Years and other Chinese festivals. That’s what people do in Asia as a way to maintain relationships. A social obligation. The Mid-Autumn Festival is near. No one at work besides me, another Asian, knows about this festival. Fei brings mooncakes, a type of round-shaped pastries, to work and gives each of us a box. The packaging looks gorgeous: a red square box with gold patterns depicting a lady dancing next to the moon. Inside is eight round pastries, about two inches in diameter. “Thank you very much!”, I say, as Fei hands me a box. Every day since, Fei comes over to my office and asks if I have tried the mooncakes. I have not, but I will soon, I tell him, feeling slightly guilty

The Ineffectiveness of English

I have interacted with English since kindergarten, and for the last four years I have been living in the US, using solely English for daily communications. Despite my effort of continual self-improving, I can’t quite understand the language. There have been explanations, of course, such as how it’s not my first language, how cultures and traditions get in place… Only recently, it strikes me with a more understandable reason: English is an ineffective language. There are so many disadvantages of English. First of all is the way one person talks to another. You can only use “I” and “you” no matter if the person you’re talking to is an earthworm or a high king. The same with “he”, “she”, “it”, and “they”. All the languages that I have ever associated with, which are French, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Cantonese, they have different words to address different people. I believe this should be the way to talk, since each person requires to be treated with respect, order, and