Skip to main content

Going to College Sucks!

(a picture of myself in my dorm room. Taken in my Freshman year, 2007)


College sucks! I wish that no one ever went to college ever.

There was VSO – the Vietnamese Student Organization that I helped created. The people who shared the same first language, my brethren. They always tried to gather and spend good time to fill the holes caused by the away-from-home emptiness. And I hardly joined. Now I wish I had.

There was that girl I met in my Micro Economics class – the one class that I felt I was a super genius who waltzed through the materials while the rest of the class struggled. When we were about done with the class, I finally had gathered enough courage and told her that she looked extremely pretty and good luck on the final. She told me it was very nice of me, and that she was about to transfer to another school far away.

There was a group of International students from South Korea one of which was my roommate. They were so nice they inspired me to learn Korean so that one day I could visit Korea and impress them with my fluency. But it was 4 years ago, and I don’t know how many more years will I be able to do that, and if I can, will anyone in South Korea still care or be excited?

And there was the South Todd people, and the CCH group too. I was always busy trying to take maximum amount of classes and some part-time jobs and finishing up college quickly that I never hung out with them. I graduated in 3.5 years, and already I spent 4 years afterwards in regrets.

The day I graduated, I walked away with a bunch of people that I would miss for the rest of my life that otherwise I would never have known. The feeling kills me for days and months and years that I become a dark-skin emo. What’s up with all of this – meeting many people who would walk away from my life for good: what’s the purpose? Is it so that I could learn to become a better person and be hurt?

I look though the pictures taken with some friends and they make me want to cry. I want to go on Facebook and talk to them, asking them how they are doing and that I miss them so very much. But I cannot. Who still remembers me and wants to talk? What are we gonna say beyond “How have you been?” and “I am well”? And more importantly, what’s the point of doing all this to then simply stop and lose it once again?

How cruel of humanity to come up with such thing as college. How foolish of me to go to graduate school to start that all over again (and get hurt all over).

You know what’s so nice about my Christian faith? It allows me to hope for a possibility of eternal gathering, that I can be with everyone forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Words in This List That You Know?

How are you doing on your readings in general and more specifically in developing your vocabularies? Recently I started reading a book for my Finance class called The End of Wall Street by Roger Lowenstein. In the very first chapter of the book – a short 6-page prologue, there were many words that I did not know, and I am listing them here: destitute somnolent bulwark scrutinize (to) prick quiescent laudatory salient fervent (adj) frothy parlance umbilical (cord) placate carnage plenitude opiate dictum stupendous I was so surprised to see so many new words in such a small amount of pages! How is this Roger Lowenstein guy? You would think that while reading a finance book, the only words you would stumble upon are technical terms or lingos. Or maybe I am just bad. How many words in the list above that you already know?

Fei's Mooncakes

Fei is a Chinese guy at work who is socially awkward. He does not hang out with others, nor does he talk to anyone beyond “Good morning” and “How are you.” It’s not that Fei doesn’t want to: he’s unable to. But he would bring food to us as gifts – Chinese cakes, Chinese candies, Chinese snacks – for Lunar New Years and other Chinese festivals. That’s what people do in Asia as a way to maintain relationships. A social obligation. The Mid-Autumn Festival is near. No one at work besides me, another Asian, knows about this festival. Fei brings mooncakes, a type of round-shaped pastries, to work and gives each of us a box. The packaging looks gorgeous: a red square box with gold patterns depicting a lady dancing next to the moon. Inside is eight round pastries, about two inches in diameter. “Thank you very much!”, I say, as Fei hands me a box. Every day since, Fei comes over to my office and asks if I have tried the mooncakes. I have not, but I will soon, I tell him, feeling slightly guilty

The Ineffectiveness of English

I have interacted with English since kindergarten, and for the last four years I have been living in the US, using solely English for daily communications. Despite my effort of continual self-improving, I can’t quite understand the language. There have been explanations, of course, such as how it’s not my first language, how cultures and traditions get in place… Only recently, it strikes me with a more understandable reason: English is an ineffective language. There are so many disadvantages of English. First of all is the way one person talks to another. You can only use “I” and “you” no matter if the person you’re talking to is an earthworm or a high king. The same with “he”, “she”, “it”, and “they”. All the languages that I have ever associated with, which are French, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Cantonese, they have different words to address different people. I believe this should be the way to talk, since each person requires to be treated with respect, order, and