Skip to main content

IBE the Journey - Part 06


To read from the beginning, click HERE
(Continued from Part 05)


The Recognitions
In any business, feedbacks are critically important (even in love). I was born to be a person who wants to hear feedbacks from others even more than normal. In IBE, we learned about giving useful feedbacks, and we had several chances during the semester to get feedbacks from others.

As I was facing disapprovals and unfairly treatments from other members, I expected nothing from their recognition toward me, even though I was still contributing my best. There were many outstanding people in the company, and I knew comparing to them I was pretty far behind.
Our first feedback activity was in the mid of the semester. The company officers were separated from the company members, and each group would give comments about the other, in a friendly but serious way, so that any issue occurred might be fixed immediately. We both were provided some large sheets of paper to write down what-ever comments about the other group, then we would come together and explain, discuss, or complain about anything for the other group to hear. When our group of members was finished, we met with the officers’ group. They hung their paper on the board just like we did, so the whole room could see what was written. In their papers, they wrote down the names of significant members in their opinions, and there were about five names were mentioned. As I could see with my surprised eyes, under Mike, the most devoted guy in our company, was my name. It was like this:
"Anh – High Spirit!!!"
Then they went on and explained how positive and friendly I was, how I cheered up when everyone was down, and how other members were feeling good when they were with me. I was speechless. So they actually noticed me, huh, I thought.
It’s always important to do a good job all the time, I know that. But when others tell me that I am doing a good job, it’s a whole different story. When I get recognized, I’ll be encouraged and motivated so much that my always “good” job will became a “great” job in no time.
As I mentioned in part 1, we weren’t only working in a company, we were having teams also. And I also had a chance to get feedbacks from my own team, team 11 of six people. These feedbacks were somewhat more meaningful than the company’s one, because we did so many things with our teammates: sitting in class next to each other, together doing our RATs, assignments, and projects. I could barely know the names of all 29 company members, but among six of us, we knew each other much more deeply and more personally. We rated and gave each other feedbacks via a website, and later on we could read our feedbacks on the site. The ratings and comments were anonymous, but it was only six of us so we really could guess who was who. This was my result:

Anh Tran

Person
Attendance Rating
Attendance Comments
mem 1
9
he has never missed a meeting
mem 2
9
always there
mem 3
9
He's always enthusiastic about projects
mem 4
9
he attends every day from what i can tell
mem 5
9
Anh is always in class and never really late
self
9
I've been attending every single class and meeting.




Preparation Rating
Preparation Comments
mem 1
8
he always is ready for the tests
mem 2
9
always prepared
mem 3
9
He's always prepared and gets the highest scores
mem 4
9
he is ALWAYS prepared
mem 5
9
Anh is always prepared for the RATs and knows the informations very well
self
9
I've studied a whole lot for any RAT, as if it was a real test. And I always have the highest score among my team.




Input Rating
Input Comments
mem 1
7
he always has something to say but its not always meaningfull
mem 2
9
always has smart reasoning
mem 3
9
If he's very confident about an answer he will try to persuade the team in a fun way
mem 4
9
he is very smart and prepared, very helpful during team assignments
mem 5
9
Anh always gives us input and is very convincing with his answers. During other team assignments can become easily off track and spacey.
self
7
I am called "overly passionate".




Listened Rating
Listened Comments
mem 1
7
he is a very respectful person
mem 2
9
listens and responds
mem 3
9
He always listens and provides input
mem 4
9
He is respectful and understanding
mem 5
8
Anh listens carefully but it is hard for him to change his mind and listen to us.
self
7
I think I was a pretty good listener.




Attitude Rating
Attitude Comments
mem 1
9
he is always in a good mood always laughing haveing a good time.
mem 2
9
very positive and energetic
mem 3
9
I think he makes the team overall happier with his antics
mem 4
9
he always has a good attitude and is positive in meetings
mem 5
8
anh is always in a positive attitude for doing work. however sometimes can not stay focused on what we are doing and starts walking around
self
7
I am a positive member.




Contributions Rating
Contributions Comments
mem 1
8
the group would be very different without him thats for sure
mem 2
9
awesome
mem 3
9
He makes teamwork fun
mem 4
9
he is a great asset to our team, very helpful and prepared
mem 5
9
always willing to help and put in input. always can put us in a good mood if we are having a bad day.
self
7
Overall, I have done a pretty good job.




Rating Summary

mem 1
48

mem 2
54

mem 3
54

mem 4
54

mem 5
52

self
46

I was really pleased with the feedbacks. My teammates said a lot of good things about me, and their ratings were much higher than I rated myself. In fact, they gave me “9” – the maximum score – in almost every aspect. This was great. I needed to show it to my girlfriend! :D

(to be continued...)
Part 07

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Words in This List That You Know?

How are you doing on your readings in general and more specifically in developing your vocabularies? Recently I started reading a book for my Finance class called The End of Wall Street by Roger Lowenstein. In the very first chapter of the book – a short 6-page prologue, there were many words that I did not know, and I am listing them here: destitute somnolent bulwark scrutinize (to) prick quiescent laudatory salient fervent (adj) frothy parlance umbilical (cord) placate carnage plenitude opiate dictum stupendous I was so surprised to see so many new words in such a small amount of pages! How is this Roger Lowenstein guy? You would think that while reading a finance book, the only words you would stumble upon are technical terms or lingos. Or maybe I am just bad. How many words in the list above that you already know?

Fei's Mooncakes

Fei is a Chinese guy at work who is socially awkward. He does not hang out with others, nor does he talk to anyone beyond “Good morning” and “How are you.” It’s not that Fei doesn’t want to: he’s unable to. But he would bring food to us as gifts – Chinese cakes, Chinese candies, Chinese snacks – for Lunar New Years and other Chinese festivals. That’s what people do in Asia as a way to maintain relationships. A social obligation. The Mid-Autumn Festival is near. No one at work besides me, another Asian, knows about this festival. Fei brings mooncakes, a type of round-shaped pastries, to work and gives each of us a box. The packaging looks gorgeous: a red square box with gold patterns depicting a lady dancing next to the moon. Inside is eight round pastries, about two inches in diameter. “Thank you very much!”, I say, as Fei hands me a box. Every day since, Fei comes over to my office and asks if I have tried the mooncakes. I have not, but I will soon, I tell him, feeling slightly guilty

The Ineffectiveness of English

I have interacted with English since kindergarten, and for the last four years I have been living in the US, using solely English for daily communications. Despite my effort of continual self-improving, I can’t quite understand the language. There have been explanations, of course, such as how it’s not my first language, how cultures and traditions get in place… Only recently, it strikes me with a more understandable reason: English is an ineffective language. There are so many disadvantages of English. First of all is the way one person talks to another. You can only use “I” and “you” no matter if the person you’re talking to is an earthworm or a high king. The same with “he”, “she”, “it”, and “they”. All the languages that I have ever associated with, which are French, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Cantonese, they have different words to address different people. I believe this should be the way to talk, since each person requires to be treated with respect, order, and