Skip to main content

IBE the Journey



IBE stands for Integrative Business Experience, one of the most important programs for my management major. It’s a four-hour period in three days a week from 9am to 1pm and it’s not just long. It’s huge and it’s like nothing I have even got into before. For many reasons, it makes this semester (fall 2009) become the toughest semester for me until now. So I’ve decided to write about it, believing this will be an interesting story for me and for those who read it.

The confusion
My first feeling about this program was that it’s so strange, so new, and yet so confusing. From absolutely out of nowhere we students were told that we’d make a real business on the very first day of the class. “Doing real business” means setting up a real company, having loan presentation before the real bankers asking for money, and working with real vendors to be selling some real products. It was a bit too “real” for a student like me, who had been only listening to lectures, reading textbooks, and writing papers (if they weren’t real, then were they all fake?!) Moreover, all of the people around me seemed really excited and confident, leaving me to be the only one who didn’t know what’s going on. My biggest question at the time was, “Did I miss something?”
Soon after that we were set into 15 teams, and then the teams were grouped into three companies. My 11th group had six members and it’s still six until today. The group belonged to the company “West” (the other two were “Central” and “East”). “West” was the temporary name, and the real name was yet to be decided later, when we have decided the actual product to sell. Each company had a meeting for an hour after the class in separate rooms. And the first meeting was the peek of my confusion. There were 29 people in my company, and most of them didn’t seem any friendly or nice at all. What worse was the way they conducted the conversation didn’t appeal to me any bit, and I was totally discouraged to contribute any opinion (which was rare if you know me). Those days were hard, and I kept wondering if this was what I wanted to do; if I’d have to work with unfriendly people like that – for my whole life!
I then went to see my advisor, to tell about my worries. She said that I wasn’t expected to know any of these “real” stuffs before, and I would be taught all that. I also shared my thoughts with my mother and my girlfriend, which eased my confusion somewhat. But nothing had ended there, more like everything had just begun and the adventure ahead of me was still too big.
The first great failure – or was it?
One of the first things we had to do for the company was to have the hierarchy, which means to have people filled into positions, such as President, Vice President, etc. The method was: self-nomination and votes. Knowing myself and knowing the uneasy environment of the company, I nominated myself for the Marketing manager position. My opponent was Jeremiah. Who the heck is Jeremiah? I didn’t care, must be some random guy, I thought, having no idea how much insignificant myself also was.
So I put some effort preparing the speech I would give in the next meeting. Using what I had learned in my Business Communication class before, I thought of some arguments to protect me from my disadvantages (such as being non-American, etc.) I was pretty confident, because even though they may not like me much, I would beat my opponent since he shouldn’t have prepared anything beforehand like I did. My girlfriend would be so proud of me.
But all what I pictured in my head was not true at the very least. In the meeting, I realized that Jeremiah wasn’t “just a random guy”, but one of the most involved people during the discussions. But his toughness was yet to reveal later, as we got to wait for the President and other higher positions first. One candidate for the President was a girl that I thought to be too lame. The way she looked at people, how she only read from some paper when having her opinion about something, made her become a very inadequate person in my opinion. So I voted for the other person, a strong guy with a bright face and a responsible attitude. But then the lame girl got the seat, only because many people in the company knew her more than him! The same situation happened for other positions: whoever I thought to be more able didn’t get voted. Then it was my turn finally.
I went out of the room for Jeremiah to give his unexpectedly long speech. Besides being international student and all, I didn’t know any single person in the company; I clearly knew my chance wouldn’t be high. Any rational person would choose to give up doing such a hopeless thing. Unfortunately I wasn’t smart, so I thought that win or lose didn’t matter any more, but if I gave up, I’d regret it forever. I gave my speech anyway. It wasn’t a satisfying speech, but I am now always glad that I did it. We two candidates then were waiting outside for the others to discuss, which of course mainly about my opponent. It was quite a long time and when we got in, we were told the victor. Jeremiah became our Marketing manager, and even though already anticipated all of this, I was a bit surprised and sad that I lost. The candidates couldn’t know who vote for whom, but I wished I could know if there was any person did vote for me.
But now I am not sure if it was better off for me if I have won. Jeremiah later on appeared to be a much capable person for the position than me for various reasons that I may mention later. Sometimes love and determination still need some rationale. So I should just do my best always, and leave the rest to God. “But what am I gonna tell her now?” I wondered.
(to be continued…)
Part 02

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Words in This List That You Know?

How are you doing on your readings in general and more specifically in developing your vocabularies? Recently I started reading a book for my Finance class called The End of Wall Street by Roger Lowenstein. In the very first chapter of the book – a short 6-page prologue, there were many words that I did not know, and I am listing them here: destitute somnolent bulwark scrutinize (to) prick quiescent laudatory salient fervent (adj) frothy parlance umbilical (cord) placate carnage plenitude opiate dictum stupendous I was so surprised to see so many new words in such a small amount of pages! How is this Roger Lowenstein guy? You would think that while reading a finance book, the only words you would stumble upon are technical terms or lingos. Or maybe I am just bad. How many words in the list above that you already know?

Fei's Mooncakes

Fei is a Chinese guy at work who is socially awkward. He does not hang out with others, nor does he talk to anyone beyond “Good morning” and “How are you.” It’s not that Fei doesn’t want to: he’s unable to. But he would bring food to us as gifts – Chinese cakes, Chinese candies, Chinese snacks – for Lunar New Years and other Chinese festivals. That’s what people do in Asia as a way to maintain relationships. A social obligation. The Mid-Autumn Festival is near. No one at work besides me, another Asian, knows about this festival. Fei brings mooncakes, a type of round-shaped pastries, to work and gives each of us a box. The packaging looks gorgeous: a red square box with gold patterns depicting a lady dancing next to the moon. Inside is eight round pastries, about two inches in diameter. “Thank you very much!”, I say, as Fei hands me a box. Every day since, Fei comes over to my office and asks if I have tried the mooncakes. I have not, but I will soon, I tell him, feeling slightly guilty

The Ineffectiveness of English

I have interacted with English since kindergarten, and for the last four years I have been living in the US, using solely English for daily communications. Despite my effort of continual self-improving, I can’t quite understand the language. There have been explanations, of course, such as how it’s not my first language, how cultures and traditions get in place… Only recently, it strikes me with a more understandable reason: English is an ineffective language. There are so many disadvantages of English. First of all is the way one person talks to another. You can only use “I” and “you” no matter if the person you’re talking to is an earthworm or a high king. The same with “he”, “she”, “it”, and “they”. All the languages that I have ever associated with, which are French, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Cantonese, they have different words to address different people. I believe this should be the way to talk, since each person requires to be treated with respect, order, and