Skip to main content

IBE the Journey - Part 03



To read from the beginning, click HERE (Continued from Part 02)
The war with the RATs
IBE wasn’t just about working in a company; it was still a course consisting of other three classes. It means that we also had to deal with tests and quizzes a lot. One new thing in this semester was the RATs – readiness assessment tests, for which we had to do a test about stuffs that we were going to learn (in other word, we hadn’t learned). They were hard, and they were abundant. 
It didn’t make sense anymore to ask myself if I was gonna have a test soon: I always had some test everyday! So I kept reading and reading, feeling just like the time in Petra (Montana). The Management book and the Marketing one were pretty well-written actually. I have learned a lot of new information reading them. The MIS (Management Information System) text-book, in the other hand, was downright clueless. The book had a horde of technical terms that in no way I could remember them all. Couldn’t do anything else, I kept reading more and more, hopefully that I would get some As which were so rare in the RATs. I didn’t get many As, however, since half of each RAT we did in team, and no one in my team was as prepared as I was. So we did decently, and sometimes the rest of the team disagreed with me in questions that I was so sure about. There were situations that I had to stand up against my team and tried to persuade them so hard. I succeeded, actually, and gradually I became the most significant member of team 11. Sometimes we got an A for the RAT, I was so happy and… break-danced right in the class. Many times my teammates would say, “We didn’t get an A, but I want to see Anh break-dances.”
The tests was another battle
The RATs were hard, by the tests weren’t jokes, neither. Real tests were bigger, fewer, and therefore more decisive (each worth 100 pt.) The Marketing tests were particular hard. The first test I got a B. I told that to my girlfriend, she said, “Next time you get an A and let me know, ok?” So for the next one I tried harder. And I got a C. It was just wrong, as if the more I tried the worse I did. So I talked with the professor, he said, “My tests are supposed to be uneasy. There ain’t many As in my class, historically.” I couldn’t give up anyway, I had to get an A to tell it to my girlfriend! For the third test, I spent even more time studying the book, and tried to study differently. I got a high B. It was great, but it wasn’t enough. I needed to find another way of study. I did. When I finished my last Marketing test, I handed the scantron to the professor to run through the grading machine. The machine graded my test and the professor looked at it. He was smiling mysteriously and… ran my scantron once more! Then he gave it back to me, and it was a solid A right there. Yes, I was happy. “Arwen, I got an A for my Marketing test!...”
The CIS tests were hard too, but it was just another effort of mine trying harder and with different ways. The results were good also. My instructor was smiling when she asked me, “Are you satisfied with your grade?” “Yes, I really do.” I smiled too, for a moment to forget all the struggles I had to deal with.
(to be continued...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Words in This List That You Know?

How are you doing on your readings in general and more specifically in developing your vocabularies? Recently I started reading a book for my Finance class called The End of Wall Street by Roger Lowenstein. In the very first chapter of the book – a short 6-page prologue, there were many words that I did not know, and I am listing them here: destitute somnolent bulwark scrutinize (to) prick quiescent laudatory salient fervent (adj) frothy parlance umbilical (cord) placate carnage plenitude opiate dictum stupendous I was so surprised to see so many new words in such a small amount of pages! How is this Roger Lowenstein guy? You would think that while reading a finance book, the only words you would stumble upon are technical terms or lingos. Or maybe I am just bad. How many words in the list above that you already know?

Fei's Mooncakes

Fei is a Chinese guy at work who is socially awkward. He does not hang out with others, nor does he talk to anyone beyond “Good morning” and “How are you.” It’s not that Fei doesn’t want to: he’s unable to. But he would bring food to us as gifts – Chinese cakes, Chinese candies, Chinese snacks – for Lunar New Years and other Chinese festivals. That’s what people do in Asia as a way to maintain relationships. A social obligation. The Mid-Autumn Festival is near. No one at work besides me, another Asian, knows about this festival. Fei brings mooncakes, a type of round-shaped pastries, to work and gives each of us a box. The packaging looks gorgeous: a red square box with gold patterns depicting a lady dancing next to the moon. Inside is eight round pastries, about two inches in diameter. “Thank you very much!”, I say, as Fei hands me a box. Every day since, Fei comes over to my office and asks if I have tried the mooncakes. I have not, but I will soon, I tell him, feeling slightly guilty

Đường Của Tôi

  Hẹn một ngày thời cấp Hai nông nổi Bỏ ngây thơ, tôi góp mặt cho đời Đây là lúc mải chơi game, không học Tôi phó mặc, kệ thứ hạng hư không. Bạn Đường à, sao ngồi bên tôi vậy? Sao nói chuyện luyến thoắng mãi không thôi? Làm kiểm tra sao bạn che tay lại? Tại sao bạn chạm ngỡ ngàng tim tôi? Và tôi chợt nhận ra đời quá đẹp Thơ: nắng đọng; câu hát: sự ru êm Nhận ra đời dành cho ta hy vọng Nhận ra lòng tự nhiên chọn yêu em. Lễ tốt nghiệp trong một chiều mưa rơi Nỗi niềm kia mặc nhiên chưa nói được Đường của tôi không cùng tôi chung bước Mảnh chân tình không trọn vẹn, buông lơi. Ngày hối hả, bao ngả cuộc đời trôi Đường gặp tôi, rồi thôi, câu giã biệt Giã biệt đường đi tôi mải miết Bởi mưa chiều nay đã tạnh, em ơi!