Skip to main content

Origami Extreme - Part 05!!!



Hello, it’s DK. It’s another origami collection again this time. Origami is really time-consuming, and I’ve spent most of my time during this Thanksgiving break to complete it. This time it’s about humans, one of the trickiest models to fold ever. It takes skill not only in folding, but also shaping the model afterward. Otherwise they wouldn’t look like humans for the slightest. But I enjoyed making them anyway. Looking at them, I understand how much more difficult for God to create us comparing to the animals, and in no way we can be ape-related.
NONE of these models is my creation; I only fold them based on diagrams. They all come from ONE uncut piece of paper, which makes them so fantastic.
One more thing, this time I’ll try something new: instead of talking about them like I normally do, I’ll make up a story (or whatever you call it) throughout the collection. Ok, enough of my rambling, here we go

PART 05: PEOPLE OF HUMANITY

We all start our life inside our mothers, making them huge. But they never hate us because of that. Bearing us makes them happy.

PREGNANT WOMAN by Alec Fehl
After we get out, we are raised with love and gentleness.
MOTHER LOVE by Neal Elias - dedicated to my mom.
As we are growing up, we start to observe and learn new things around. We learn to live, and to enjoy life also.

BOY ON ROCKING HORSE by Neal Elias

Then we become adults. What can we do to our future? Will we become strong people?

SOLDIER by Tominaga Kazuhiro
…Will we be talented?

MAN IN HOOD SHOOTING KAMEHAMEHA* by Tomohiro Tachi
…Will we contribute, or will we just sit around thinking a lot but do nothing?

RODIN’S THINKER by Neal Elias
One day we will get old and be weary. What will we think of our life, of what we have done in our youth?

THE HUNCHBACK** by Mario A. Netto
Hopefully that we have done our best, and we have made the world a better place. Yes, hopefully we all have become some kind of heroes that we can be proud of.

A KNIGHT ON PEGASUS by Miyajima Noboru
Every one of us will have to choose our own paths. Be and do whatever your hearts desire, for this life is full of greatness. But, don’t ever forget to love, for this is what the world was made of.

RAINCOAT by Unknown
Thank you.

Special thanks to Dong Kyeong for material; VNS Forum for diagrams; and Arwen for inspiration. :)

*Kamehameha is commonly known as Kamêjôkô in Vietnam :D
**The hunchback is not old. He is the main character in Victor Hugo’s The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. I only use him to portray an old person due to his shape.
------------------------------------
Related Topics:
Origami Extreme!!! – Dinosaurs
Origami Extreme - Part 04 !!! - The Winged World
Origami Extreme - Part 08 !!! - The Little Birds


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Words in This List That You Know?

How are you doing on your readings in general and more specifically in developing your vocabularies? Recently I started reading a book for my Finance class called The End of Wall Street by Roger Lowenstein. In the very first chapter of the book – a short 6-page prologue, there were many words that I did not know, and I am listing them here: destitute somnolent bulwark scrutinize (to) prick quiescent laudatory salient fervent (adj) frothy parlance umbilical (cord) placate carnage plenitude opiate dictum stupendous I was so surprised to see so many new words in such a small amount of pages! How is this Roger Lowenstein guy? You would think that while reading a finance book, the only words you would stumble upon are technical terms or lingos. Or maybe I am just bad. How many words in the list above that you already know?

Fei's Mooncakes

Fei is a Chinese guy at work who is socially awkward. He does not hang out with others, nor does he talk to anyone beyond “Good morning” and “How are you.” It’s not that Fei doesn’t want to: he’s unable to. But he would bring food to us as gifts – Chinese cakes, Chinese candies, Chinese snacks – for Lunar New Years and other Chinese festivals. That’s what people do in Asia as a way to maintain relationships. A social obligation. The Mid-Autumn Festival is near. No one at work besides me, another Asian, knows about this festival. Fei brings mooncakes, a type of round-shaped pastries, to work and gives each of us a box. The packaging looks gorgeous: a red square box with gold patterns depicting a lady dancing next to the moon. Inside is eight round pastries, about two inches in diameter. “Thank you very much!”, I say, as Fei hands me a box. Every day since, Fei comes over to my office and asks if I have tried the mooncakes. I have not, but I will soon, I tell him, feeling slightly guilty

The Ineffectiveness of English

I have interacted with English since kindergarten, and for the last four years I have been living in the US, using solely English for daily communications. Despite my effort of continual self-improving, I can’t quite understand the language. There have been explanations, of course, such as how it’s not my first language, how cultures and traditions get in place… Only recently, it strikes me with a more understandable reason: English is an ineffective language. There are so many disadvantages of English. First of all is the way one person talks to another. You can only use “I” and “you” no matter if the person you’re talking to is an earthworm or a high king. The same with “he”, “she”, “it”, and “they”. All the languages that I have ever associated with, which are French, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Cantonese, they have different words to address different people. I believe this should be the way to talk, since each person requires to be treated with respect, order, and