Skip to main content

"You Want to See Miracles?"


(This post was finished last year, and I forgot to post it.)

How often do I truly seek God? I don’t know. But I know that every time I do, He will answer me in so many ways, and any of them is just so amazing. My life doesn’t seem to be so attractive these days, as I am struggling (still) will study and people. I knew that I wasn’t the most unfortunate person as now I have God and my girlfriend (sorry if the way I put “my girlfriend” next to “God” annoys you, it’s just a way to say it). I knew that but I couldn’t really feel that. My girlfriend is at the other end of this Earth, and God’s image is still not easy to… anticipate. I felt lonely and my joy left me. So I decided to watch the movie “Bruce Almighty”.

After I watched "Evan Almighty" two years ago and greatly appreciated it, I thought this “Bruce” one should be good too. And it was awesome, surprisingly awesome. The main character Bruce thought his life was terrible and he complained about God a lot. The way he said it was interesting, “He ignored me, when he can actually fix my life in five minutes!” He was beaten while trying to help a blind man; his car got broken; and he got fired right after he was offered a chance to be promoted. But he had an amazing girlfriend who always with him and supported him. It’s funny how I saw a part of myself just right in front of my eyes. I feel watching the movie is like when some friend of mine just randomly opened the Bible and saw the exact verse he needed. This movie was for me to watch and the timing was perfect. 

So the “God” appeared (Morgan Freeman again, and he did another great job), and let Bruce to be… all powerful, with only two rules: keep it a secret, and mess not with free will. I like how the second rule is so American. /This entry is sadly a spoiler, so if you didn’t watch it and plan to enjoy the movie fully, then please stop reading this and save it for later/ 

So Bruce got the power, enjoyed himself for a while until the whole society was messed up. He finally understood the lessons and he gave up his power. The idea of God letting someone to try His role is really interesting, and I was thinking that I would do a much better job than Bruce did (but oh well, I will surely screw up in some way or another too). Wonder what kind of miracle I would try first if I got the power, maybe creating some food ‘cause I am hungry :’D. What Bruce did first was… dividing his tomato soup like Moses did with the Red Sea (lol!!!) But later on, God told him, “Parting your soup is not a miracle, it’s a magic trick. A single mom who’s working two jobs and still finds time to take her kid to soccer practice, that’s a miracle. A teenager who says no to drug and yes to an education, that’s a miracle.” This is so nice! It means we all can do miracles! God does give us great powers and we sometimes just can’t realize it! So the movie made me think back, and reminded me of the great things I had accomplished. They were truly amazing and I couldn’t ever have done them by myself. 

Another nice thing about the movie is Bruce’s girlfriend, Grace. She reminded me of my girlfriend so much that I couldn’t bare it but cried. She reminded of her when she looked at Bruce, when she hugged him, when she had her smiles and her tears. I realized what Bruce did, that without his love everything else seems wrong: Grace was the one to help him find the way back. What An Amazing Grace Bruce received from God! All of this made me miss my girlfriend even much more, but at the same time comforted me, and gave me strength to carry on, for the bright future of ours is yet to come. 

I am so thankful for the movie. I will stop being depressed now (for a while at least), and continue to do what I am supposed to. I now can see miracles everywhere, because in the movie God tells Bruce this:

“You want to see miracles? Be a miracle!”

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
 --------------------------------------
Related topic(s):

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Words in This List That You Know?

How are you doing on your readings in general and more specifically in developing your vocabularies? Recently I started reading a book for my Finance class called The End of Wall Street by Roger Lowenstein. In the very first chapter of the book – a short 6-page prologue, there were many words that I did not know, and I am listing them here: destitute somnolent bulwark scrutinize (to) prick quiescent laudatory salient fervent (adj) frothy parlance umbilical (cord) placate carnage plenitude opiate dictum stupendous I was so surprised to see so many new words in such a small amount of pages! How is this Roger Lowenstein guy? You would think that while reading a finance book, the only words you would stumble upon are technical terms or lingos. Or maybe I am just bad. How many words in the list above that you already know?

Fei's Mooncakes

Fei is a Chinese guy at work who is socially awkward. He does not hang out with others, nor does he talk to anyone beyond “Good morning” and “How are you.” It’s not that Fei doesn’t want to: he’s unable to. But he would bring food to us as gifts – Chinese cakes, Chinese candies, Chinese snacks – for Lunar New Years and other Chinese festivals. That’s what people do in Asia as a way to maintain relationships. A social obligation. The Mid-Autumn Festival is near. No one at work besides me, another Asian, knows about this festival. Fei brings mooncakes, a type of round-shaped pastries, to work and gives each of us a box. The packaging looks gorgeous: a red square box with gold patterns depicting a lady dancing next to the moon. Inside is eight round pastries, about two inches in diameter. “Thank you very much!”, I say, as Fei hands me a box. Every day since, Fei comes over to my office and asks if I have tried the mooncakes. I have not, but I will soon, I tell him, feeling slightly guilty

The Ineffectiveness of English

I have interacted with English since kindergarten, and for the last four years I have been living in the US, using solely English for daily communications. Despite my effort of continual self-improving, I can’t quite understand the language. There have been explanations, of course, such as how it’s not my first language, how cultures and traditions get in place… Only recently, it strikes me with a more understandable reason: English is an ineffective language. There are so many disadvantages of English. First of all is the way one person talks to another. You can only use “I” and “you” no matter if the person you’re talking to is an earthworm or a high king. The same with “he”, “she”, “it”, and “they”. All the languages that I have ever associated with, which are French, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Cantonese, they have different words to address different people. I believe this should be the way to talk, since each person requires to be treated with respect, order, and