Skip to main content

...and then, I changed


Simply slacking around, then one day woke up, I saw everything changed…
I woke up after a really long sleep. Immediately I was stunned: it was 10h55’ – I had missed my math class, and I had 5 minutes left to get to the health class! “Oh, dear!” I laughed so hard at myself, to see how slacking I was. But I did manage somehow to get to class seven minutes later, wondered why those things happened everyday like that.

But it
wasn’t like other days. Everywhere was smoothly white, and love appeared from nowhere, now spread allover… It was snow! All the memories of Montana just came back at the same time, only to remember something else. “Oh yeah, it’s my …birthday, isn’t it.”
Then I turned to be eighteen years old. No more a little me, no more my teen age. I stepped to a new period, to be able to feel my new strength, new responsibility. Time did pass fast, didn’t it? It’s eighteen years passing by at a glance, and I just stood there, could not cling to anything.

My little sad feeling was soon faded by caring of the others. I got sweet messages from family and friends everywhere, even some presents too! I was really surprised and touched. It’s so kool. I am cared!

Thank you, Mom. It is eighteen years that you have taken care of me. Who I am today, what I know and can do today, it was you that help me all, with your love and kindness. Thank you also, father.

Thank you, cousin “Nh
t Banh Vt Ko”. You were the one who first said “Happy birthday” to me. That’s not all there is to it. We have been friends for years, since we were little kids. My childhood has you walked all over, Minh. Thank you.
Thank you, Dark Orc! So you remembered my birthday at last, huh? That’s cool. You know, your message is one thing I looked forward to the most. Thank you, my best friend.

Thank you, Jenny. I still don’t get your card, but I got your caring already. I am so glad.

Thank you BS, my long-term enemy. Our relationship is just …insulting to me. How many times we’ve made each other mad? I can’t count for sure. But despite all of that, I am still cared by you. Pleasure, BS.

Thank you, Trang. We haven’t known each other much, but you still remember my birthday. Awesome, girl. The song you sent was surprisingly good. So pleased to be your dance partner.

Thank you my other friends. All of your messages are really sweet.

And so, I turn out be a new person – gladly, with caring, love and snow.

Happy birthday, DK.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Words in This List That You Know?

How are you doing on your readings in general and more specifically in developing your vocabularies? Recently I started reading a book for my Finance class called The End of Wall Street by Roger Lowenstein. In the very first chapter of the book – a short 6-page prologue, there were many words that I did not know, and I am listing them here: destitute somnolent bulwark scrutinize (to) prick quiescent laudatory salient fervent (adj) frothy parlance umbilical (cord) placate carnage plenitude opiate dictum stupendous I was so surprised to see so many new words in such a small amount of pages! How is this Roger Lowenstein guy? You would think that while reading a finance book, the only words you would stumble upon are technical terms or lingos. Or maybe I am just bad. How many words in the list above that you already know?

Fei's Mooncakes

Fei is a Chinese guy at work who is socially awkward. He does not hang out with others, nor does he talk to anyone beyond “Good morning” and “How are you.” It’s not that Fei doesn’t want to: he’s unable to. But he would bring food to us as gifts – Chinese cakes, Chinese candies, Chinese snacks – for Lunar New Years and other Chinese festivals. That’s what people do in Asia as a way to maintain relationships. A social obligation. The Mid-Autumn Festival is near. No one at work besides me, another Asian, knows about this festival. Fei brings mooncakes, a type of round-shaped pastries, to work and gives each of us a box. The packaging looks gorgeous: a red square box with gold patterns depicting a lady dancing next to the moon. Inside is eight round pastries, about two inches in diameter. “Thank you very much!”, I say, as Fei hands me a box. Every day since, Fei comes over to my office and asks if I have tried the mooncakes. I have not, but I will soon, I tell him, feeling slightly guilty

The Ineffectiveness of English

I have interacted with English since kindergarten, and for the last four years I have been living in the US, using solely English for daily communications. Despite my effort of continual self-improving, I can’t quite understand the language. There have been explanations, of course, such as how it’s not my first language, how cultures and traditions get in place… Only recently, it strikes me with a more understandable reason: English is an ineffective language. There are so many disadvantages of English. First of all is the way one person talks to another. You can only use “I” and “you” no matter if the person you’re talking to is an earthworm or a high king. The same with “he”, “she”, “it”, and “they”. All the languages that I have ever associated with, which are French, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Cantonese, they have different words to address different people. I believe this should be the way to talk, since each person requires to be treated with respect, order, and