Skip to main content

My sweet girl, it’s for you…


One day…

You appeared in my school. You were a cute girl, I thought.

Your name was so strange and difficult for me to remember, but I could remember it at last.
You seated in front of me in our Literature class. I saw you everyday, saw your smiles, and smiled with you.

You were the kind one, who cares about everyone.

You recognized our backpacks had the same color- red.

As a fate, God's Providence or whatever, we were in same school-team, house Pendragon. One day, I tried to do some cheating for our team's point with you, and you refused. At that time, I knew you were a good girl.

I didn't know why, but I drew your face in my common place book, and you saw it. I didn't know if you recognized something or not.

I tried to do something for Pendragon, one reason was you.

I started to break-dance everyday, with the hope I would show you one day.

House competition, everyone tried hard for Pendragon, I tried hard because of you. We won. You said: "Good job!" , and I was so happy. Thank you. You did good job too.

You asked me about my birthday, I did not say. I decided to tell you on that day. I wanted to know yours too. You did not answer.

We were both foreigners. I invited you to go to international dinner. You were so busy to go, you answered.

History project. I tried to help you with some generals' character studies. You said "thank you, you are so smart." I felt happy. Thank you.

You accepted to go to the next international dinner. I was so excited.

I heard from teachers we would have dance-time in that school year. I would ask you to dance, I thought.

I wrote something in the back of your notebook, hopefully you could see it some day.


One day…

After school, you said "I like your coat". I smiled and got home, knew nothing would happen.
The next day, you disappeared, suddenly, without any reason.

Your locker was still there. Your stuffs were still there, as if waiting for you.

They said you moved to other place. But it was not true.

My mother- the school secretary- just said you had something she did not want to tell.
And so I knew nothing. Could not know anything.

I just knew you would never go to the international dinner.

You would never see my writing behind your notebook.

You would never dance with me, even refuse me.

You would never see my break-dance show, if I had one.

You would never tell me your birthday, nor know my birthday, which is today.

You would never return. Never.


Today…

I still here, hoping you'd come back. I try to do something but I can't.

I miss you.


Tomorrow…

I'll forget you, and love someone soon.

You'll never know there is a me like that.

Your stuff'll be here until someone moves them, away with my story about you.

Good bye, my sweet girl!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Words in This List That You Know?

How are you doing on your readings in general and more specifically in developing your vocabularies? Recently I started reading a book for my Finance class called The End of Wall Street by Roger Lowenstein. In the very first chapter of the book – a short 6-page prologue, there were many words that I did not know, and I am listing them here: destitute somnolent bulwark scrutinize (to) prick quiescent laudatory salient fervent (adj) frothy parlance umbilical (cord) placate carnage plenitude opiate dictum stupendous I was so surprised to see so many new words in such a small amount of pages! How is this Roger Lowenstein guy? You would think that while reading a finance book, the only words you would stumble upon are technical terms or lingos. Or maybe I am just bad. How many words in the list above that you already know?

Fei's Mooncakes

Fei is a Chinese guy at work who is socially awkward. He does not hang out with others, nor does he talk to anyone beyond “Good morning” and “How are you.” It’s not that Fei doesn’t want to: he’s unable to. But he would bring food to us as gifts – Chinese cakes, Chinese candies, Chinese snacks – for Lunar New Years and other Chinese festivals. That’s what people do in Asia as a way to maintain relationships. A social obligation. The Mid-Autumn Festival is near. No one at work besides me, another Asian, knows about this festival. Fei brings mooncakes, a type of round-shaped pastries, to work and gives each of us a box. The packaging looks gorgeous: a red square box with gold patterns depicting a lady dancing next to the moon. Inside is eight round pastries, about two inches in diameter. “Thank you very much!”, I say, as Fei hands me a box. Every day since, Fei comes over to my office and asks if I have tried the mooncakes. I have not, but I will soon, I tell him, feeling slightly guilty

The Ineffectiveness of English

I have interacted with English since kindergarten, and for the last four years I have been living in the US, using solely English for daily communications. Despite my effort of continual self-improving, I can’t quite understand the language. There have been explanations, of course, such as how it’s not my first language, how cultures and traditions get in place… Only recently, it strikes me with a more understandable reason: English is an ineffective language. There are so many disadvantages of English. First of all is the way one person talks to another. You can only use “I” and “you” no matter if the person you’re talking to is an earthworm or a high king. The same with “he”, “she”, “it”, and “they”. All the languages that I have ever associated with, which are French, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Cantonese, they have different words to address different people. I believe this should be the way to talk, since each person requires to be treated with respect, order, and