Skip to main content

Laughing over the death


Socrates once said, “All [humans] are mortal”, that is, every one has to be dead some day. Each person has his/her own opinion about death, and there is a huge bunch of heroic people who just don’t afraid of death (read tales, you’ll see them a lot). The question, then, is: do you afraid of death? I do. I really do.
Sometimes we wish for big stuffs, such as being a millionaire or saving the world, so on and so forth. When time passes by, it turns out to be clearer and clearer to me that such a simple wish like
having a normal life is already difficult – extremely. The fact is, our material world, the mother Earth, is not safe. Indeed, people can just suddenly die for nothing easily. And the causes are just abundant.
The first thing that freaks me out was about aliens. For years we have heard stories about how someone can just disappear some no where and then come back several months later without any of his/her memories or sensations. So yeah, just sit there with your families or friends, and it can be just, “Pff!” You are done for.

And now there is some
retarded guy saying stuff like we are all gonna die in several years! My goodness! What in the world?!!! The ridiculous thing is, reading what he has said and we’ll just believe in him more and more, inevitably! LOL!!! If all of that is true, then I wonder what are we studying and working for? What’s the meaning of all our efforts for that whole time? What are our futures, our hopes, our goals? Is there any single thing is the matter? Obviously not. LOL again.
I don’t know why we have to face this. Isn’t it that without those crazy stuffs, lives are already so dangerous and we are all so fragile that we can be hurt so easily? Car crashes, murders, wars, disasters, hungers, illness… Aren’t they too much for enough yet?!...

I am afraid of death, but that’s all there is to it. I can’t really do anything, and shouldn’t do anything about it. Think of all the possible dangers around me, I have been through so many safe days – meaning that I could have been dead for so many times already. We all did. We all are already so fortunate. So why do we have to care if there will be something bad happen in the future? For example, one says that the humanity will be destroyed in two years (faster than any prophecy so far). The fact is that there will be thousands of people will die in two years, which can be anyone of us here. Therefore, what is more important? Trying to live for each single day or trying to survive in two years? The second one will surely not be the case if the first one isn’t fulfilled.

I am glad that I have lived until today, and hopefully I’ll still be living tomorrow. There is nothing to be afraid of if I’ll die someday. It is another day to live is the blessing that should be noticed. None of us can control how to die, but we all can control how to live, right? Let us ignore all the frivolous things, and keep “MOVING FORWARD”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Words in This List That You Know?

How are you doing on your readings in general and more specifically in developing your vocabularies? Recently I started reading a book for my Finance class called The End of Wall Street by Roger Lowenstein. In the very first chapter of the book – a short 6-page prologue, there were many words that I did not know, and I am listing them here: destitute somnolent bulwark scrutinize (to) prick quiescent laudatory salient fervent (adj) frothy parlance umbilical (cord) placate carnage plenitude opiate dictum stupendous I was so surprised to see so many new words in such a small amount of pages! How is this Roger Lowenstein guy? You would think that while reading a finance book, the only words you would stumble upon are technical terms or lingos. Or maybe I am just bad. How many words in the list above that you already know?

Fei's Mooncakes

Fei is a Chinese guy at work who is socially awkward. He does not hang out with others, nor does he talk to anyone beyond “Good morning” and “How are you.” It’s not that Fei doesn’t want to: he’s unable to. But he would bring food to us as gifts – Chinese cakes, Chinese candies, Chinese snacks – for Lunar New Years and other Chinese festivals. That’s what people do in Asia as a way to maintain relationships. A social obligation. The Mid-Autumn Festival is near. No one at work besides me, another Asian, knows about this festival. Fei brings mooncakes, a type of round-shaped pastries, to work and gives each of us a box. The packaging looks gorgeous: a red square box with gold patterns depicting a lady dancing next to the moon. Inside is eight round pastries, about two inches in diameter. “Thank you very much!”, I say, as Fei hands me a box. Every day since, Fei comes over to my office and asks if I have tried the mooncakes. I have not, but I will soon, I tell him, feeling slightly guilty

The Ineffectiveness of English

I have interacted with English since kindergarten, and for the last four years I have been living in the US, using solely English for daily communications. Despite my effort of continual self-improving, I can’t quite understand the language. There have been explanations, of course, such as how it’s not my first language, how cultures and traditions get in place… Only recently, it strikes me with a more understandable reason: English is an ineffective language. There are so many disadvantages of English. First of all is the way one person talks to another. You can only use “I” and “you” no matter if the person you’re talking to is an earthworm or a high king. The same with “he”, “she”, “it”, and “they”. All the languages that I have ever associated with, which are French, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Cantonese, they have different words to address different people. I believe this should be the way to talk, since each person requires to be treated with respect, order, and