Skip to main content

Why would the Gospel kill people?


I have recently read Achebe’s Things Fall Apart, which has proved to me the fact that African literature can be so wonderful. Indeed, among many world masterpieces contented in the 3052-page book I have been reading this semester for my English class, this African novel turns out to be my favorite.
It’d take me much more time to discuss about how the style of this story is much easy for me to follow, and still worth-reading because of its richness. For now I am talking about the story itself, what I think about these African tribe people, how the Europeans came and messed their life up.

This paragraph is a
SPOILER, so if you really want to read this novel (which I highly recommended), skip to the next paragraph or to be even better, stop reading this post. Here it goes: The story is about a strong man, who is the greatest man of his village. He truly is a warrior, the man of action. Then some white men come, build up churches, then new government. These “civilized” people spread Christianity and conflicts take place, as far as they lock up the six leaders of the village, shave their head and stave them for days until they agree to pay money. Okonkwo – the main character, the hero – can’t bear with all of that and kills one white man. Then he hangs himself before these men can come and catch him.
As a Christian myself, I am supposed to agree with the European missioners, and I should have kept thinking, “Oh yeah! Christians rule!” or something. But I felt a strong sympathy toward Okonkwo and his people. Leaving them alone, they would live perfectly fine with their traditions and their beliefs. Now the Europeans come and this peaceful life gets all crewed up. The African people have to see their holy masks got tore badly, their hero is forced to die “like a dog” and cannot do anything because they are scared of the guns.

I am not sure what God’s opinion about this, but I think these European commissioners are evil! I don’t know what price it should take to spread the Gospel but destroying traditions, bugling money, and killing some ignorant people then enslaving the rest are not acceptable. And when people do such things using the name of God, then I say it’s more heretic than worshiping a piece of wood. Isn’t God Love? Isn’t He Hope?

To be honest, I didn’t know this was an African story because I skipped the intro. I thought it was Native American. It shows how similar the situations are: uncivilized people everywhere in this world were living happily, then Europeans came and “things fall apart”. It makes me wonder what the French and the Americans did to my country, what pains they caused to my fathers, my uncles. Notice what those Europeans came to Okonkwo’s village for: for spreading the Gospel. So the purpose of saving a country from Communism seems to be quite inferior.

Of course I hold no grudge toward the French or the Americans, and my faith of Christ is still in me somewhere. But I think at least we Christians really should think twice before going for a mission trip. Would that mess up their cultural in a bad way? Would that not a part of invading other countries that we just don’t unconsciously know? Of course such things don’t seem to be likely to happen, but it won’t hurt to think about that.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Words in This List That You Know?

How are you doing on your readings in general and more specifically in developing your vocabularies? Recently I started reading a book for my Finance class called The End of Wall Street by Roger Lowenstein. In the very first chapter of the book – a short 6-page prologue, there were many words that I did not know, and I am listing them here: destitute somnolent bulwark scrutinize (to) prick quiescent laudatory salient fervent (adj) frothy parlance umbilical (cord) placate carnage plenitude opiate dictum stupendous I was so surprised to see so many new words in such a small amount of pages! How is this Roger Lowenstein guy? You would think that while reading a finance book, the only words you would stumble upon are technical terms or lingos. Or maybe I am just bad. How many words in the list above that you already know?

Fei's Mooncakes

Fei is a Chinese guy at work who is socially awkward. He does not hang out with others, nor does he talk to anyone beyond “Good morning” and “How are you.” It’s not that Fei doesn’t want to: he’s unable to. But he would bring food to us as gifts – Chinese cakes, Chinese candies, Chinese snacks – for Lunar New Years and other Chinese festivals. That’s what people do in Asia as a way to maintain relationships. A social obligation. The Mid-Autumn Festival is near. No one at work besides me, another Asian, knows about this festival. Fei brings mooncakes, a type of round-shaped pastries, to work and gives each of us a box. The packaging looks gorgeous: a red square box with gold patterns depicting a lady dancing next to the moon. Inside is eight round pastries, about two inches in diameter. “Thank you very much!”, I say, as Fei hands me a box. Every day since, Fei comes over to my office and asks if I have tried the mooncakes. I have not, but I will soon, I tell him, feeling slightly guilty

The Ineffectiveness of English

I have interacted with English since kindergarten, and for the last four years I have been living in the US, using solely English for daily communications. Despite my effort of continual self-improving, I can’t quite understand the language. There have been explanations, of course, such as how it’s not my first language, how cultures and traditions get in place… Only recently, it strikes me with a more understandable reason: English is an ineffective language. There are so many disadvantages of English. First of all is the way one person talks to another. You can only use “I” and “you” no matter if the person you’re talking to is an earthworm or a high king. The same with “he”, “she”, “it”, and “they”. All the languages that I have ever associated with, which are French, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Cantonese, they have different words to address different people. I believe this should be the way to talk, since each person requires to be treated with respect, order, and