Skip to main content

Another adventure of DK


I want to see my family in Vietnam again. That’s what partly makes me to screw myself with two-and-a-half jobs since last semester. I also had to give up visiting my other family – the one in the Boze. Yeah, most of you already know; I am simply telling the reason why I had been bugged strongly with the fact that I would not go back to Montana. Consequently, sending cards to my Sukut family should be the very least thing I should have done to… “redeem” my responsibility (I am using words unseriously so please don’t take it serious).
On the 21
st, I finally got the mailing address of the Sukuts (no, I am gonna use a lot of the word “finally” so I should just say, “I got the address”). At that night, I found out an astonishing fact: there was not any single Christmas card in my room, and I had to buy some really soon. The only place to get cards that I knew was Walmart, and it was miles away. I didn’t have a car, nor any of my friends around. At that night, I – mysteriously – failed to catch the bus, which was really painful. Next day, things didn’t get any brighter and no car or bus or plane or ship came to my life. So after trying all the possible plans I could possibly make (and failed all), I decided to just walked to Walmart. (Well no, I did think of standing at the crossroads with a piece of cardboard but I preferred not to do it).
So I walked to Walmart. Some times like this makes me want to be smarter (so that I would at least come up with walking early) and to be in wonderful places like Narnia (so the weather would be sunny and warm and nice). Unfortunately none of these happened, and I started walking to Walmart at 10 pm and the temperature was about 5 F. (And no, I am definitely not praising myself or doing anything of that sort. This IS a story of mine, and you should simply read it just like a lame article on a random newspaper). It was not so warm to me and walking right next to cars in the dark was pretty adventurous. Well, finally I got to Walmart and was so thankful. Another “I survive” was said.

So basically I got the cards. The next step was to write them and send them. So on the 23
rd, I had to send the cards at any cost in order to get them reach Mt hopefully on time. However, things just got more and more hilariously unfortunate. I somehow finished writing the cards at 4: 40 pm, and the post office would close at 5. When I saw my watch, I realized a terrible thing: it was actually 4:50pm – 10 minutes later. Any second in such situation is critically important, so I didn’t even have time to be stunned but rushed my best to the post office.
One wonderful thing about Warrensburg was that it could get awesomely cold, but still rained like out of nowhere. And when the raindrops got to the earth, it froze to ice. I hadn’t seen anything that slivery in Montana, so even though I tried Holden’s Judo row, I fell on the street. My basketball shoes were totally useless and there was a “curly” bridge for me to go through. So I literarily used both arms and legs to move, and yeah, I got stuck there for at least five minutes. After that, the road didn’t get any less slivery but somehow I could run and jump and row with out falling again. And here we go, the post office!

It was 5:07. I stood in front of the closed door and couldn’t think or do anything. And since crying was still inappropriate for a man, so I ended up shaking my head and laughed.

The next day, the 24
th, I went to the post office right after I woke up, and yeah, it was before 5:00pm so the cards were finally sent. “They will reach there on Saturday”, the woman said. Ok, whatever.
So yeah, that’s my story. It is too late now for a Merry Christmas wish, but the whole world is waiting for the new year to come. So this time I’ll say,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Many Words in This List That You Know?

How are you doing on your readings in general and more specifically in developing your vocabularies? Recently I started reading a book for my Finance class called The End of Wall Street by Roger Lowenstein. In the very first chapter of the book – a short 6-page prologue, there were many words that I did not know, and I am listing them here: destitute somnolent bulwark scrutinize (to) prick quiescent laudatory salient fervent (adj) frothy parlance umbilical (cord) placate carnage plenitude opiate dictum stupendous I was so surprised to see so many new words in such a small amount of pages! How is this Roger Lowenstein guy? You would think that while reading a finance book, the only words you would stumble upon are technical terms or lingos. Or maybe I am just bad. How many words in the list above that you already know?

Fei's Mooncakes

Fei is a Chinese guy at work who is socially awkward. He does not hang out with others, nor does he talk to anyone beyond “Good morning” and “How are you.” It’s not that Fei doesn’t want to: he’s unable to. But he would bring food to us as gifts – Chinese cakes, Chinese candies, Chinese snacks – for Lunar New Years and other Chinese festivals. That’s what people do in Asia as a way to maintain relationships. A social obligation. The Mid-Autumn Festival is near. No one at work besides me, another Asian, knows about this festival. Fei brings mooncakes, a type of round-shaped pastries, to work and gives each of us a box. The packaging looks gorgeous: a red square box with gold patterns depicting a lady dancing next to the moon. Inside is eight round pastries, about two inches in diameter. “Thank you very much!”, I say, as Fei hands me a box. Every day since, Fei comes over to my office and asks if I have tried the mooncakes. I have not, but I will soon, I tell him, feeling slightly guilty

The Ineffectiveness of English

I have interacted with English since kindergarten, and for the last four years I have been living in the US, using solely English for daily communications. Despite my effort of continual self-improving, I can’t quite understand the language. There have been explanations, of course, such as how it’s not my first language, how cultures and traditions get in place… Only recently, it strikes me with a more understandable reason: English is an ineffective language. There are so many disadvantages of English. First of all is the way one person talks to another. You can only use “I” and “you” no matter if the person you’re talking to is an earthworm or a high king. The same with “he”, “she”, “it”, and “they”. All the languages that I have ever associated with, which are French, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Cantonese, they have different words to address different people. I believe this should be the way to talk, since each person requires to be treated with respect, order, and